Monday, June 19, 2006

Napo


Very few things in this world adhere to the axiom "Appearances can be deceptive" more truly than the Great Dane dog. Here's a nice story...

About 6 years back, one sunday evening with the cool breeze flowing from Elliot's beach, I stopped by my friend Corbet's home. After talking to him for about 1/2 hour or so, I was taking my leave and walking towards the gate of his house, when we stopped to discuss some more (some topic which has long since been forgotten). It was dark in the corridor leading to the front gate and I happened to place my elbow while standing talking to him on what seemed to me at that time to be an empty wooden crate. Suddenly, there came such a low and deep throated "Woof!" from such close proximity that I literally jumped out of my skin. Turning sharply towards the sound, my heart skipped another beat when I tried to make out in the dark the outline of what seemed to be a huge beast. Now, this beast was lying down and still it's head reached the height of my shoulders. Slowly, I figured that it was a dog.

Simply put, I love dogs and so I realized that I was in the company of a breed I had only seen in pictures - A Great Dane. My friend Corbet realized I had been surprised by the dog and in what was a very considerate move from his perspective (but ended up surprising me even more) proceeded to shush the dog in such a flippant manner that I thought with new respect: "Wow! This guy is really the master of his dog!" The dog without a sound at this shushing, obediently proceeded to lay his great head down on the floor as only dogs can. Turns out it was his neighbor's dog, Napo, the Great Dane. It also turns out that Great Danes are also one of the most gentle animals known to man. (I hazard a guess that Napo's owners had named him Napoleon initially but had later shortened it to Napo for Napoleon is too harsh a name for such a loveable beast.)

As I was browsing through pictures of Greart Danes online, I found the one at the top of this post and the photo from this link:
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20031124/nation.htm#briefs
[My interpretation of the snap --
Dog: "Hey, that cap looks trendy!"
Kid: "Keep your paws to yourself, the cap's mine!"]

I love watching Scooby Doo (Scooby is a Great Dane) and used to like reading Marmaduke (also, a Great Dane). Also, in keeping with the past few posts, The Great Dane pub is a highly recommended pub in Madison and reportedly offers very good specialty brewed beer. A nice name too, since Madison is in Dane County.

3 Comments:

At Mon Jun 19, 07:22:00 AM GMT-4, Blogger Narasimhan said...

Dear TW Lee

Remember the Great Dane sitting alonside with Rajni in Baadsha.

What a perfect foil for that larger than life character of Rajni.

With Regars
Narsimhan

 
At Tue Jun 20, 01:57:00 AM GMT-4, Blogger terrywhatlee said...

Very true, narasimhan.

From this link:
http://www.petpublishing.com/dogken/breeds/greatdane.shtml

"This sightfulness also contributes to the breed's famous poise and alertness, creating an alert, noble demeanor that has earned the Great Dane the titles "King of Dog" or "Apollo of the Dog World." Like any good king, the Dane's reputation stems from its courage and spirit rather than an ability to intimidate or bully. Though never timid, the ideal Great Dane is always friendly, dependable and sensitive -- an easygoing companion who is reliable and stable but also watchful over its family and home.

These qualities make the Great Dane a wonderful family dog. They are devoted to their people and generally good with children, although small children may be overwhelmed by the large dog's friendly attention. Despite their intimidating size, Danes are usually friendly toward other dogs and pets. Great Danes are happiest when surrounded by loved ones. In fact, Danes have a reputation for making themselves too much at home. Lovers of creature comforts, they are notorious for confiscating a favorite chair or bed."

:)

 
At Tue Jun 20, 02:13:00 AM GMT-4, Blogger terrywhatlee said...

I found the content of the page from Tribune above very interesting - since that small section titled "Briefly" has news snapshot from one day that contains Humor, Tragedy, Technology, Progress, the Best and Worst of Man and the World.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home