Sunday, April 09, 2006

Poori

It's been a while since I posted something of great significance and I am feeling very chatty but I have nothing to contribute except a few random things:

* Madison is celebrating its 15oth birthday starting this past Friday.
Happy Birthday, Mad150n!

* With today's win over Boston College, UW Men's Ice Hockey team became this year's NCAA Division I Champion. Especially special since UW Women's Ice Hockey team also won this championship this year. Cheers!!

* Watching the movie "Minority Report" on NBC tonight, I noticed that in one of the scenes where Tom Cruise is in a Mall in DC, the background music being played in the Mall and faintly audible as part of the movie soundtrack is the tune Moonriver which I posted about only very recently. I think it is an amazing coincidence.

* One of the meteorologists on Madison's local/Network TV news has the last name "Mercurio". How amusing and apt. That's something I've noticed - TV Meteorologists (probably all of them in that profession) have a very small and finite set of technical terms/phrases that they use day-in and day-out probably without really thinking about it - e.g. "clear to partly cloudy skies" And while "mercury" is a term that is often used by Indian Meteorologists (probably because it is so hot in summer and may be because mercury based thermometers are still used), their counterparts here in the US don't use it that often (I've never noticed it at least).

Anyway, this I find is amusing the same way I know some couples with names like "Mythili Raghavan". It was almost as if it was Meant-To-Be.


Today's QOTD is unrelated to any of the above in keeping with the post.
Watching TV today...

"People don't turn down money; it's what separates humans from animals."
-- Jerry Seinfeld :)

3 Comments:

At Mon Apr 10, 10:49:00 AM GMT-4, Blogger Narasimhan said...

Dear TW Lee,

Good collection of entries. BTW do you watch Seinfeld regularly.

I can't sleep without watching it at 11.00 PM EDT (EST). I just love these guys.

Looks like you have become a well honed Madisonian.

With Regards
Narasimhan

PS: That one on "Mythili Raghavan" was on dot.

 
At Wed Apr 12, 01:06:00 AM GMT-4, Blogger terrywhatlee said...

Kramer's physical comedy combined with Newman's precise, almost British, diction combined with Jerry's observations makes me laugh out loud how many ever times I watch episodes where they come together, like this one:

Newman: And then something happened that changed us in a very deep and profound way from that day forward.
Elaine: What? What happened?
Kramer: He spit on us.

 
At Tue May 23, 02:29:00 AM GMT-4, Blogger terrywhatlee said...

In retrospect, I think I was subconsciously trying to pacify a subset of my readers by providing such a quintissentially Iyengar name (Mythili Raghavan) - for another post a while back identified so strongly with Iyers.

And looks like it worked too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home