Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Tharoor

One reason I read others' blogs is because it reveals some published content on the Internet that the usual browsing doesn't. Jewels.

I happened to stop by http://tilotamma.blogspot.com/ and found a reference to http://www.hinduonnet.com/2001/07/08/stories/13080675.htm and happened to comment on it. I suspect Tilo had some reasons behind taking the post off, but hey, sometimes even I reach the levels of vanity reserved for the Stephanians (Is that the right word?) of this world.
So, deciding to republish just my comment alone:

I found the few R. K. Narayan's works that I have read interesting and absorbing. The issues of style that form a big part of Tharoor's comments might be justified, might not be. I don't care. Since I find the content of Narayan's works to be powerful.

Regarding Tharoor's somewhat acerbic words, I have this to say: All his works are very self-aware. His "anti-tribute", as Tilo called it, is intended to shock and take you aback and it looks like it had achieved the desired effect - at least on one reader and most probably on many many Indian readers.

Of course, once you are aware of such an intention, you can always refuse to play any part in it. :)

I am not saying Tharoor is wrong. I am just saying Tharoor probably thinks himself to be so objective that he would be prepared to write an equally caustic obituary for himself to show that he is not beyond himself and therein lies his pitfall.

I realize this is the second post on objectivity - a topic that's growing old within the confines of this blog.

QOTD Today

(ah - already off ypur blogroll I see...)

7 Comments:

At Tue Apr 04, 10:39:00 AM GMT-4, Blogger tris said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Tue Apr 04, 08:12:00 PM GMT-4, Blogger terrywhatlee said...

One less drop in the ocean.

 
At Fri Apr 14, 06:16:00 PM GMT-4, Blogger tris said...

Funny, you think I am so widely read.....

 
At Sat Apr 15, 03:12:00 PM GMT-4, Blogger tris said...

More R.K.N.....

http://www.lehigh.edu/~amsp/blog.html

 
At Tue Jun 20, 02:43:00 AM GMT-4, Blogger terrywhatlee said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Fri Jun 23, 12:42:00 AM GMT-4, Blogger terrywhatlee said...

"Referring to himself as “the national offering to the world,” Shashi Tharoor, India’s candidate for the top UN job hinted at possible US support for him, though he did not say it in so many words."

 
At Fri Jun 23, 01:47:00 AM GMT-4, Blogger terrywhatlee said...

"the national offering to the world"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home